The Law Office of James A. Reed, P.C.


Principal Office:


Babb, Reed & Leak, PLLC
4131 Spicewood Springs Road
Building G, Suite 2
Austin, Texas 78759


Telephone: (512) 580-5010

Fax: (512) 580-5015





Commercial Real Estate Law

Residential Real Estate Law

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is your office?

Our office is located in North Austin in the Spicewood Forest Office Condominiums on Spicewood Springs Road, approximately 3/4 mile west of Mopac.  For more detailed directions, please visit our Directions page.


What types of cases do you handle?

Mr. Reed handles most issues involving real estate, including real estate litigation. For a representative list of our services, please visit our Services page. 


What are your qualifications?

Mr. Reed is board certified in both commercial and residential real estate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has practiced law in the Central Texas area since 1986 and is also a licensed Texas real estate broker and trained mediator.


What does it mean for an attorney to be board certified?

The Texas Board of Legal Specialization provides a voluntary designation program for Texas attorneys and paralegals.  To become board certified, an attorney must have:

  • Been licensed for at least five years
  • Spent three years of practice in specialty field
  • Devoted 25-50% of practice to field of specialty
  • Handled a variety of cases in field
  • Attended continuing legal education seminars
  • Received approval of judges and colleagues
  • Passed a six hour written examination


Do you offer free consultations?


No. Our consultations are billed at our hourly rates with a minimum fee of $400. Most initial meetings seeking advice can be conducted in one hour or less, particularly if a client prepares for the meeting. If the situation involves more complex issues or litigation, additional meetings may be required. If you decide to hire us, we will present you with an engagement letter or an agreement for legal services. You may also be asked to pay a retainer. 



What are your hourly rates?


Mr. Reed's time is billed at $400 per hour and support staff time is billed at rates ranging from $95 to $125 per hour.  (These rates are in effect as of January 1, 2024, subject to change annually.)



What is a retainer?  Will I have to pay one?


A retainer is a method of securing the representation of an attorney and prepaying for his services. Whether a retainer is required will depend on the type and complexity of the case. If we do require a retainer, it will be applied to your fees. After payment of final fees and expenses, any balance of the retainer will be refunded.   



Do you offer any alternative billing arrangements?


Yes. Although the typical arrangement is hourly, we do offer flat rate fees and blended arrangements for some of our services.



Will you take my case on a contingency basis?


Most real estate matters do not lend themselves to a contingency fee arrangement.  Under certain circumstances, we will take a case on a contingency basis; however this agreement must be negotiated during the initial consultation and requires a written agreement between the attorney and client.



Do you accept credit cards?


Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.


How long will it take to resolve my case?


Each situation is unique and there are a multitude of factors that affect the time to resolve it. While some matters can be resolved in a matter of days, others may be drawn out for a year or more.



What if Mr. Reed does not take my case or if it involves issues he does not handle?


We can usually refer you to another attorney or you can contact the Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas at (512) 472-8303 or (866) 303-8303 toll free.



What if I cannot afford to hire an attorney?


Resolving your legal matter may not be as expensive as you think; however, if you cannot afford to hire an attorney you may qualify for legal aid and should consult Texas RioGrande Legal Aid which serves the Austin/San Antonio, El Paso, and South Texas areas.  You may also find help at, a website for low-income Texans with free information and family law, protective order, and other self-help legal forms.